After watching yesterday's documentary, I realized how much the knowledge I gained from previous terms, had affected the way I viewed the documentary. For example, snippets of news reports were included when giving evidence of media manipulation. Before taking Mr. Paterson’s lessons, I would have conceived every information as trustworthy. Not only did I see the media as a platform to rely on facts, I was completely unaware of the fact that there was also deceitful information. Before the internet, people were informed through newspapers and radios; which were owned by rich people who had the money to buy the radio and news companies. Due to this, wealthy people were able to control the media and the information put out to the audience. Net Neutrality is the idea that internet service providers, must treat all internet communication equally, allowing individuals to put out information freely. We looked at websites such as Indymedia, information clearinghouse, and fair.com. These media report news and information that are not presented on TV, news channels, or newspapers.
If net neutrality were to be scrapped, internet service providers would be able to charge differently based on user, content, websites, etc. Since big news organizations want to restore their monopolistic dominance. This made me realize how revolutionary internet 2.0 is since it enabled people to freely put out information. Although internet 2.0 has its downsides that fake information lies everywhere, as long as users are aware of the manipulation and are able to think critically, it is one of the strongest resources.
notes:
Before taking lessons about media manipulation pro- democracy- what they are doing is conservatives
if it was in Japan, what would happen
how much of the stuff from the previous terms affected the way I saw the documentary yesterday?
Before learning about media manipulation, I would have not understood why the news reporters were said to be hiding the truth. I would have conceived every information as trustworthy and had no suspicion in taking in news. However, now with much more knowledge from previous classes, I am able to identify what the
(media education foundation) produces and sells documentaries involving media and stereotypes. videos had low resolution, and prominent watermark all the way through the video. school and colleges
net neutrality: if you want to get a message out to people you needed to use the newspaper, only rich people could own radio stations, news companies. = super-rich people could control the media/ information.
the only people who could make websites were rich elites for internet1.0, internet 2.0, changed the system and allowed people to put out information.
around 30,000 yen
notes:
information clearing house
fair.com
Indymedia (these media were able to function because of net neutrality. ) public utility is charged the same (phone and internet). if net neutrality was scrapped, these internet service providers could charge more money on using certain websites. big media organisations want it to end because it will restore their monopolistic dominance.
stopping in between.
understand which interviewee is on which side,
Comments
Post a Comment