Paper Towns Ch1-3
After days of trying to decide which book I would be reading throughout the winter holiday, I opt for paper towns by John Green. I don't know much about the author, John Green but I do know that he has written other teen novels such as "The fault in our stars" and "Looking for Alaska". Mr.Paterson mentioned how we should choose a book that we know nothing of the author, so I decided to not search for his name. I have a feeling that one of my classmates might also choose a novel written by John Green since his writing is popular amongst students my age.
Chapter 1 starts off with the narrator, being the protagonist of this story, Quentin. I figured that it was his last year in high school and he would be going to college next year. Quentin has two best friends, Ben and Radar and the first chapter is mostly about his friends and a background story of his life. He talks to his mum about how he could care less about the upcoming prom, whilst staring at a girl named Margo Roth Spiegelman. On the other hand, Ben is obsessed with figuring out a way to get a date. Radars house owns the world's largest collection of black Santas, and by reading the first chapter I found some parts very humorous and enjoyable.
Chapter 2 starts off with Margo sneaking into Quentin's house at night and asking him to drive her to complete a task. This left Quentin more than shocked since the last time they spoke was when they were kids and they used to hang out every day riding bikes. At first, he refused to succor her but eventually, Margo convinced him and the first stop they made was to the grocery store. Reading this chapter made me have so many questions like why she had to go to Quentin for help, when they weren't talking for a long period of time. I still don't know much about Quentin let alone the other characters so it was hard to understand his personality. Apparently, Quentin had always liked Margo but the author doesn't mention anything about how Margo feels.
In chapter 3 margo proffers a sticky note which had been composed with Margo's unique handwriting. She randomly capitalizes letters from words which I recall every time any writing by Margot is mentioned in the story. She says, "The rules of capitalization are so unfair to words in the middle." Her shopping lists contained 3 whole Catfish, one can of blue spray paint, and other strange things. At this point, Quentin still has no idea what she is planning but he seems to be having fun.
When choosing the book, I read a little bit about the summary of the book and knew that Margot would disappear, so I kept on wondering why she would be gone from the story and when that would happen. I believe this is why I felt like this book was a page-turner.
Comments
Post a Comment