In this lesson, Mr.Paterson talked about our winter homework which was to choose a book and read it over the break. Our homework is to write a blog every week and compare the difference between reading a book academically and for pleasure. I am currently still deciding on which book I am going to read, but i am planning on reading something that fits my preference. He then talked about the things he had planned for us to do for the 3rd semester which was about fake news.
I found the story of Santa Claus very interesting since I would have never thought that the company of coca-cola would be the reason Santa Claus became red. I searched up the old blue/white-clothed Santa Claus and was shocked to see that I had never seen any movies or stories starring the original version. It made me realize the power of media and the control they have over our society. It influences traditional beliefs and events and not only does it alter the truth but are often mistaken as something else. We had learnt briefly about fake news last year in our Japanese class and remembered how newspaper companies, tv shows and other medias use different techniques to manipulate the audience. One of them was how we apprehend information from graphs. This is where we learned how to find the slight differences and changes that were made to emphasize certain areas.
Comments
Post a Comment